“Ladies First” What is the story behind this phrase? It is a famous and common phrase, but there are many accounts about the origin of the story of this phrase, some of them said that there were two lovers who decided to commit suicide because they were unable to relate, and the man jumped and the woman stayed and when she saw his death she was terrified and decided not to commit suicide, so the saying arose as a joke.
Some of them said that the reason goes back to the time of war in the ancient West, where women are presented in the ranks of the army to be shot, and the male soldiers can then shoot the enemies in order to preserve the survival of the soldiers. And some of them said that the origin of the phrase is “ladies and children first” in an incident that was in the year 1852 AD, where the lives of women and children were first saved in a life-or-death situation that happened on a ship in which the resources for survival ended, so the women and children were presented even though there is no law stipulates this.
“Ladies First”: In another narration, the phrase appeared in the novel “Harrenfton” by William Douglas, and the first documentation of this phrase “ladies and children first” is in the year 1840 AD. To take care of the women and children first by chanting this phrase, the women, children and a few male passengers were transported in the boat while the passengers and crew remained on the ship to fight the fire. But the intent of her saying remains respect and appreciation for women.
There are exceptions to the rule. The man takes precedence over the woman
- The man must precede the woman to open the car door for her to ride, and in the event of getting out of the car, the man must also precede her to open the door for her again, unless she does not prefer to wait.
- While opening the door so she can pass first.
- During going up and down the stairs or stairs, the man takes a step ahead of the woman in order to help her if she needs to.
- In the case of boarding a ship, bus, or train, the man always comes forward to offer a helping hand to the woman.
- When talking to passers-by or male sellers.
- Also, when crossing narrow or dark, unknown places, and if a couple or a man and his mother hold her hand and cross a distance of no more than two steps, otherwise the man advances completely in front of her on one path and let it be on her side so that you can look at her and observe her steps.
- When entering restaurants, the man precedes the woman to open the door.
- If there are moving doors, the man steps forward to make it easier for the woman to cross.
- In the case of walking on rough floors, the man walks next to the woman and offers her his hand if she needs help.
- In the elevator, the man comes out before the woman to make way for her.
The woman takes precedence over her husband in some cases
“Ladies First”: While sitting in public places such as a restaurant, café, garden, plane, etc., and when entering anywhere, but after her husband secures passage for her by opening the door, when entering and exiting the elevator, and when getting into the car after the husband steps forward to open the door.
On the other hand, from what was narrated from the Messenger, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, in his dealings with his wives, that he used to help his wife to ride on the beast. In the hadith of Safiya, may God be pleased with her, the Prophet, may God’s prayers and peace be upon him, would sit beside his camel, and he would put his knee, so his class would put her feet on his knee until she rode. This is a manifestation of kindness and leniency in helping the husband for fear that she might fall or suffer any harm.
In the end, the man comes before the woman in certain situations to help her and honor her, including what was mentioned in the story of the Prophet of God Moses, peace be upon him. He has preceded the woman as it came in Surat Al-Qasas, the Almighty’s saying: Al-Baghawi and Ibn Katheer, because when she walked in front of him until he went to her father, he said to her: “Be behind me.” Although she was the evidence for him, and that was because he looked down on her, hating to see something from behind her, which God forbids to look at, and it was a windy day.