How do you increase your reading speed? Do you know Eileen Wood? You will not likely know this woman who contributed to creating a new skill that the world desperately needed during the rise of the Industrial Revolution, Eileen Wood, a teacher, and researcher who lived in the late fifties of the last century. In her daily work, she found a discrepancy in the speed of reading among students, which prompted her to try to understand this method, which some enjoy and not others, so she devoted herself to reading and trying to find ways to speed up her reading. It finally enabled her to explore it and present it as an integrated curriculum at the University of Utah in the year (1959 AD) in the American capital.
How do you increase your reading speed?
In this article, we will learn about the most effective methods that impede reading, and the most effective ways to double the reading speed.
How is the reading rate calculated?
Perhaps this is the most prominent question for you, dear reader. You need to know your current level in order to know how to develop your reading in the future. The equation is the number of words per line x the number of lines per page x the number of pages per minute.
As for the rating of the reading speed rate and the rating of the reader, it is as follows:
- Reading speed: 150k/min, rating: slow
- Reading speed: 300k/min, rating: medium
- Reading speed: 600k/min, classification is fast
- Reading speed: 800k/min, rating: exceptional
You can know the speed of your reading rate, which is usually between (100-200) words per minute for the average reader, and less than that for those who read intermittently.
What are the methods that hinder reading and make it boring sometimes?
1. One of the most prominent habits that hinder normal reading as well as speedy reading is reading with a voice, whether it is audible or hidden. Reading in a voice restricts the reader and occupies his mind on other topics; Because the mind does not face a real challenge to focus on reading only, it begins to open other files to deal with it due to its enormous potential.
2. Some are afraid of losing or forgetting some information, so they resort to going back to what they have read, and this is also one of the obstacles. The mind absorbs and secretes information, filters, and archives it even if it is forgotten at the time. It is not a solution for the reader to return again and again and waste a great deal of time to benefit from the quality of Reading time in general.
3. The environment surrounding the reader is very important. Some people are keen to read in public places or public transportation, and this may affect focus. The defect is not in the quality of the reader but in the quality of the surrounding environment and its effects. Reading in public places may be suitable if it is normal and for entertainment, and as for speed reading, it is difficult to apply it in these places.
How is reading enhanced from normal to fast?
Note: People with dyslexia are excluded from the following skills, and everyone has psychological pressures that affect their concentration and threaten psychological balance.
First: Determining the goal of reading. Fruitful results can only be achieved by having a predetermined plan. Research reading has methods, reading for pleasure, reading for purification, reading for study, and so on.
Second: Gradual reading of books. The basic principle is for those who wish to enhance their reading to choose books with few pages and words, and not exceeding (200) pages, and it is also possible to read articles only, and after a period of time, the gradation is made in the level of the book and the number of its pages and chapters down to the volumes, investigative books and books Academic and scientific theses.
Third: Using a pointer for reading, in order to evoke focus in the mind, it needs a lower speed to pay attention to words and not create imaginations far from reading. Using a pointer such as a finger or a pen increases focus and maintains a near-constant reading speed.
Fourth: Not using the voice in reading, so that it is a silent reading without uttering, whether with or without a voice.
Fifth: Avoid reading the footnotes, and also skipping topics that the reader knows and does not need to read again, as this shortens a lot of time.
Sixth: Making reading a daily or almost daily habit, so that the reader has a specific time in which he commits himself to read.
It is worth mentioning the readers’ comprehension levels, reading one book on a particular topic is nothing more than (perception), and reading 3 books in the same field is considered (familiarity), 10 books (knowledge), and 60 books (experience). The more delving into a particular topic, the more awareness, and broad-mindedness a person has.