Learn how to balance work and learning?… Work-Life Balance is the new trend in the past few years, everyone is talking about its importance to a happier life, but what about work-life balance and skills development?
I don’t know why no one talks about the difficulty of balancing work and learning despite it being one of the biggest problems that many freelancers and those working in the creative industry, in general, suffer from, and they are the ones who need to develop their skills in their field of work without stopping to work.
Learn how to balance work and learning?
The problem of difficulty balancing work and learning and its impact on your productivity
The difficulty of balancing work and learning is a problem faced by those who work in the creative field in particular, and those who work in areas that require continuous development of their skills while maintaining their productivity. If you are a freelancer, you certainly know what this means.
The problem is that you may find yourself spending a lot of time learning, following training courses and lessons, reading articles and books, and even getting inspired and communicating with those who are more experienced than you in your field, then you stop completely and start working a lot according to what you learned and then get busy with work and forget completely That you are supposed to learn more.
Then you feel that you still lack a lot of knowledge to be able to do your work better, so you start to feel a lack of confidence in your abilities, and then you either turn to immersion in work with less productivity and a greater sense of guilt and lack of confidence or return that ball again!
Perhaps those who are most vulnerable to this problem and affected by it are beginners, because their need to learn is greater than their need to work, and their knowledge at that stage may not help them to work in a stable manner, as this feeling of lack of confidence may lead them to think that they will never succeed, so they stop working and forget What they have learned and begun the same journey in another field.
What is the work-learning balance plan 5511?
Previous experiences have made me realize that it is difficult to balance work and learning and that I need a positive routine to help me solve this problem. After doing many experiments, I finally came up with a wonderful plan that I call the 5511 Work-Learning Balance Plan.
The goal of the Work-Learning Balance Plan 5511 is not to let your work habits make your work more without learning more, nor vice versa, and thus become more productive.
This requires a clear and measurable plan that helps you balance work and learning and develop your skills to increase your productivity, as well as prevent you from spending all your time at work without paying attention to developing your knowledge and skills.
- The plan is that every month you should read a book, finish a course, read 5 articles, and watch 5 TED Talks.
How do you use the work-learning balance plan 5511?
- In order to use this plan correctly, you must know that it is specifically designed to create a balance between work and continuous learning so that you do not work more than you learn nor vice versa, so its initial picture is 5511.
- What I want you to do is become more flexible in your use of that plan. If you are someone who doesn’t like reading, for example, you can replace the book with another course, and if watching TED Talks doesn’t make much sense to you, you can replace it with watching quick Tutorials on what you want to do. or learn it.
- Also, will it take more than a month to finish the book? decent! Is one training session not enough for you per month? It’s OK to add another one too – but don’t be too hard on yourself – remember that in this plan you are in complete control of your learning and work habits, but always remember that the goal is to strike a balance between work and learning.
- Also, you should adjust the percentages according to the nature of your work. If you work a lot, I advise you to increase these percentages a little, such as reading two books instead of a book or watching two training courses instead of one.
- So that this will help you to work less, and gain more knowledge and experience that will help you work better, which you would not have if you worked all the time, which is what I told you in the previous article.
- Which I do personally, you will see that my list for this month contains two training sessions, one takes 36 minutes and the other is 58 minutes, which means 6-10 hours after applying the contents of the two courses approximately after they are distributed over the days of the month, and this is because I need to acquire these two skills at the moment.
- I know that everyone has their own circumstances, as well as their preferred way of working and learning, and certainly, there is no rule that can be applied to everyone alike, with different circumstances of their work and life, and that is why I say that most of what you will read about work-life balance is only theoretical, and I did not create that Plan to become so!
- That is why I advise you to be more flexible in dealing with that plan, it may become 1111 or even 5555. It depends entirely on you, according to your current circumstances and the amount of work you do.
Why do you need to implement a work-learning balance plan 5511?
The main reason you seek to balance work and learning is that you are doing this in order to work less, and then gain more knowledge, experience, and skills that will enable you to be more productive when you return to work again.
I say this so that you realize its importance when you determine what you will learn each month, and what you will do as well. You must carefully choose what you will learn in each month to serve your current and future goals as well, and not just to stray a little from work.
Assigning a specific number of what you will learn will make you more comfortable about starting to learn because you know exactly where you will start and where you will end, which will make the idea of starting to learn easier and more fun because you are tracking your progress each time which means more dopamine.
Also, this will make you think a lot before adding any article or training course to your list every month. You will choose carefully because the matter has become limited now, which will push you to think analytically about the information you will be exposed to and will not only become a recipient of the information, you are required to get more As much knowledge as possible in the allotted time.
I am not saying that you should fully adhere to this plan or list. For example, I use a lot of my free time watching documentaries or listening to many different podcast episodes, from which I learn a lot and do not add them to the list, and I also read many other articles without the need to be added.
This is perfectly normal because after two months or more of implementing this plan, you will have a positive routine about it and you will find yourself balancing work and learning without even having to rely on the plan!
Because after that, you’ll discover that the plan was more like the extra wheels that you install on your bike so that you can ride with it without the need for those extra wheels.
I hesitated a lot before telling you this and I hoped to let you discover it for yourself, but I decided to tell you so that you do not think that if you stop using this plan, you have broken the laws of balance between work and learning! No, it’s not, you’ll just have acquired that skill naturally. (congratulations in advance)
But this does not mean that you should stop using it as well, with my knowledge of this, and although I am achieving a balance between work and learning without the need for that plan, I make sure to use it as a tool that pushes me to constantly search for training courses, articles, and content of better quality, and also to remind myself This is always the case.