Summary of “The Reluctant Fundamentalist”: Changez, a Pakistani man meets an American visitor while they are waiting for a cup of tea, in Lahore. He tells him his story about his time in the United States.
The Reluctant Fundamentalist
The writer is Mohsin Hamid, a Pakistani. The novel was published in the year 2007 and all told during one evening by the hero to an American man whose name is not mentioned.
Why did the Changez return to his country?
- Changez continues to say that he was an analyst at an American company, Underwood Samson, so he traveled on vacation to Greece.
- There he met Erica, the writer whom he admired. But she was sad about the death of her lover Chris of lung cancer.
- They go out on a date, but her old love prevents her from getting excited. They go on a second date. So Changez asks her to imagine that he is with Chris.
- But she worsens and enters a clinic for treatment, as she has become very weak.
- Changez travels to Chile for work. Upon his return, he discovers that they had found her clothes in the villages of the Hudson River.
- And she was officially mentioned missing and her body was not found.
- Changez succeeds in his work and is sent to the Philippines, Valparaiso, and Chile. His thoughts are scattered.
- And he sees that America is interfering in his homeland and manipulating it and that he is a servant to it.
- He returns without completing his work and is dismissed.
- After the September 11 attack, Changez noticed a change in his treatment, especially after growing his beard.
- And his solidarity with the Pakistanis, and with his being without work and his visa expired, he decided to return to Lahore.
End of the novel “The Reluctant Fundamentalist”
In the end, the writer leaves doubt in the reader, about the possibility that the American listener is from the intelligence and will arrest Changez or not.