Summary of ‘Jude the Obscure’: It is a tragic novel in which there is a lot of death, betrayal, and poverty. The book was published in 1894.
Arabella’s deception of Jude
The hero Jude Fawley marries a girl who deceives him and claims that she is pregnant with him, and it is a failed marriage.
Arabella left him and immigrated to Australia to marry again there.
The 12 most important events that happened to Jude
- Then Jude Fawley moved to another city, Christminster, he became a construction worker and met his cousin Sue.
- Jude introduces Sue to his school teacher, Mr. Phillotson, who persuades Sue to marry him, but Sue asks him to leave her to live with Jude.
- Mr. Phillotson leaves school and leaves the city.
- Sue lives with Jude without any intimate relationship because she hates sex and marriage, and shows his first wife who eloped with a man who owns a hotel in Sydney.
- Arabella divorces her husband officially, and tells him that she gave birth to a child from him immediately after she went to Australia,
- Jude lives with Sue and has two children with her, without marriage, and she is pregnant with the third child.
- Jude and Sue were ostracized by society because of their illegal relationship. He was fired from work, so they had to travel to another city and live like a Bedouin.
- Jude’s child from Umbrella was psychologically disturbed. He believed that they were old and poor because of him and his brothers.
- So, he killed them and killed himself by hanging, and left a note saying: ” Done because we are too many”.
- Sue blames herself and believes that the children’s death is due to her leaving her husband Mr. Phillotson, so she leaves Jude and returns to him.
- Jude grumbles about the many disappointments in his life and drinks a lot, so Arabella comes and marries her.
- But he falls ill and dies after a year of failure and frustration in all his ambitions.
At the end of Jude the Obscure
The novel is full of tragic events, death, poverty, betrayal, failure, and frustration, what you believe in is what you seek.
So, pay attention to what is going on in your head and your subconscious mind. Always think positively about your life, no matter what circumstances hit you.