Ever since Television was invented in the early nineteenth century it has transformed itself from a mere invention to the living room mainstay for billions of people all across the world. In a fast-paced world, television has become an inexpensive source of entertainment. Even though many consider television as a source of providing information and entertainment there are many disadvantages to watching Television.
- Long before the Internet and Smartphones invaded our life, television had triggered the breakdown of social relations. It had started taking the place of family, friends, and spouse and started people make antisocial.
- There is a direct correlation between obesity and the high rate of television viewing. Researches have also indicated that individuals watching excessive Television tend to suffer from sleep difficulties.
- There is too much vulgar and illicit content that is readily available on the Television which can have a negative impact on children in their formative years.
- Television has contributed immensely to the voracious consumerism, the ill effects of which are imminently being perceived in the developed and the developing economies like China and America.
- Television viewing wastes a lot of time and makes people addicted to it. Many individuals have self-confessed that they feel guilty about the fact that they have become addicted to television and waste a lot of their time watching television which could have otherwise been used by them in doing more fruitful and productive work. A lot of people have nowadays become couch potatoes.
- Excessive viewing of television means less time for physical exercise which negatively affects the health of the Individuals.
- There has also been empirical evidence to suggest that children and teenagers have taken to foul language, participation in violent activities, drug – usage in attempts to emulate, and copy what they see on television.
In the ultimate analysis, it can be concluded that there should be a fine balance as far as the viewing of television is concerned. There are both sides of the coin while there is a lot of informative and entertaining stuff available on the television there is also no dearth of the illicit, vulgar, and violent content that is shown on the Television. Modern-day televisions have safety settings that assist the parents to regulate what the children may see or refrain from seeing on the Television. Television has now become an integral part of our lives and it certainly would be a boring world if the Television was to be shut down completely.