Urban poverty is one of the core issues confronting the urban managers and administrators of the present time. Despite a wide range of anti-poverty programs focussing on Poverty and Employment generation, the situation remains grim. Importantly, the situation of poverty in Urban India gets aggravated by a substantial rate of population growth, a high rate of migration from the rural areas, and the mushrooming of slum pockets.
The various dimensions of Urban Poverty are as follows:
- Residential Vulnerability – Access to land, shelter, basic services, etc.`
- Social vulnerability – Deprivations related to factors like gender, age, and social stratification, lack of social protection, inadequate voice and participation in governance structures, etc.
- Occupational vulnerability – Precarious livelihoods, dependence on the informal sector for employment and earnings, lack of job security, poor working conditions, etc.).
To alleviate Urban poverty in a country like India, the following measures are proposed
- Conceptualization, Development, and Implementation of a Plan that will facilitate access to suitable spaces, Institutional Credit, Social Security, and Skills to the Urban Street Vendors for accessing emerging market opportunities.
- Convergence with schemes/programs of the relevant line Ministries/ Departments and programs of the State Government dealing with skills, livelihood, entrepreneurship development, health, education, social assistance, etc. An alliance strategy may be developed with all concerned departments to promote skill training and other programs.
- Skill training and placement of the urban poor and facilitate technological and marketing support for the urban poor entrepreneurs who want to be self-employed and set up their small businesses or unit.
- Innovative Ideas and best practices of other countries as a customized solution according to the need and requirements of a country like India.
- Capacity building of all the Government and Non-Government staff involved in the Implementation of all schemes related to the alleviation of Urban Poverty.
- Advocacy for policy changes at the Central and the State Level.