Most advertisements out there are fooling the everyday car user that taking care of your car is a piece of cake. Today, however, I will impart to you a far greater truth than what is presented by the media. Taking care of a car is one, not easy, and two not fun. Even the average Homo Erectus knows and can agree that buying a car is not the toughest bit. That tough bit comes when it is time to take care of your “precious baby.” Luckily, for automobile owners, it is not all doom and gloom. Several things can be done to at least try to reduce the number of trips you make to the garage or are stuck under the hood in the middle of nowhere.
- Oil level- It is imperative that the oil levels are constantly checked and maintained. Some even go as far as to argue that “oil is everything.” I think I also agree. Fresh oil changes combined with a regular check of the oil level will go a long way in keeping that engine in good shape.
- Transmission- This is one of the most important things to take care of. The transmission does not require the attention that something like oil does. However, make a point of changing the fluid at regular intervals. The fluid should match that which is recommended in both type and viscosity.
- A proper cooling system- No one wants an overheating engine midway to the Maasai Mara. For this reason, it is always important to keep the cooling system in good shape by flushing it and changing the coolant as often as you can or at least once a year.
- Parking- A lot of maintenance seems to revolve around the engine. This is because of a simple equation; no engine, no car. However, small matters such as where you park are also important. This should be done under shade to protect the interior plastic. If not always possible, you should consider using a UV protectant or even a window deflector.
- Love your car- It might seem like a weird tip, but it is by far the most important. Anyone who loves his or her car will always want to see it in good condition. You will not go flying over bumps or potholes; you will not travel without a spare tire or scratch it at every turn, and most importantly, you will do all the above and so much more to ensure that the car is always in mint condition.