Deep breathing will re-energize your whole body with fresh oxygen, which your body needs to function properly. Oxygen ignites the body with life. Look what happens when you set fire to acetylene or butane or propane and then you turn on the oxygen welding bottle. The strength of the added oxygen increases the intensity of the flame that can burn through hard steel or even burn through it. Just imagine what extra oxygen from deep breathing will do to your body.
Here are some benefits of deep conscious breathing are:-
1. Breath = Life. Literally. If I come up to you and close your nose, you will fight for breath. Our energy level depends on a big part of our breath. The better (fuller) you breathe, the more energy you will have. Taking deeper breaths will bring in more oxygen to the body and improve your energy levels. Think oxygen cafe!
2. Deep Breaths = Less Stress and Better Digestion. Slow deep breaths help to activate the parasympathetic nervous system, which is when the body gets the chance to recuperate, regenerate, and heal. Very important to help keep a healthy immune system and get out of our “flight or flight state”. Those of you suffering from poor digestion, bloating, or constipation will benefit from learning how to put your body into a “rest and heal” state and activate the parasympathetic nervous system. This is the only state when your body can digest food efficiently.
3. Deep Breaths = Less Inflammation! There is a lot of talk about how cancer and many diseases can only live in an acidic body. Deep breathing is said to reduce the acidity level of the body making it more alkaline reducing your risk. I think it is partially because it reduces the stress levels which when elevated can increase the acidity levels.
4. Deep breath = More Awareness. The more awareness you have in the present moment, the more likely you are to connect with your intuition or internal teacher. Your body knows how and what to feed itself to be healthy, how much, and how often to move, and how much to rest. It is a matter of learning to listen to that voice and understand it. The slower you breathe, the more likely you are to hear that internal teacher. When you breathe slowly, it is almost impossible to overeat or to hurt yourself exercising.
5. Slower Breaths = Better Relationships. Most relationships would be better if people were less reactive. Can you imagine if instead of saying something mean, you were able to mentally step back and chill before talking? Wouldn’t that be nice? The state of your mind affects the breath, the reverse is true as well. When you are angry are breath is fast and shortened. When you are relaxed, your breath is slow and complete (hopefully!). The next time you are arguing with someone tries taking longer deeper breaths. Notice how that can quickly reduce anger and allows you to look at the situation from a new perspective.
A good thing about breathing: you can do it anywhere and anytime and it does not cost anything! Even 5 minutes of slow deep conscious breathing once or twice a day can make a huge difference. When you catch yourself breathing a shallow breath into your chest or not allowing yourself to complete exhales, slow down. Take a few deep breaths to remind yourself what it should be like.
Please consult the physician of your choice before starting this, or any, diet plan or exercise program