Fenugreek is a type legume used in Indian cuisine more so in South India, in sambar powder, Idli, dosa, curries, etc.
Fenugreek has 25 % protein and 26 % total fiber and highest soluble fiber content (13.3%) among grains. It has 5times more soluble fiber than Oats. It is because of high soluble fiber content fenugreek helps in inducing blood sugar and blood cholesterol-lowering effects.
Research has proven that it has anti glycemic effects because of its constituent 4-hydroxy isoleucine and other components called trigonelline,trigoneosides, and galactomannan all work together to improve blood glucose level through influence on glucose metabolism.
It is also found from some research studies that fenugreek act as a galactagogue and increased significantly the lactation in nursing mothers hence increase in weight gain in infants.
A recent study has found fenugreek can boost testosterone levels and sexual functions in men further research is required to confirm these results.
Recent research also has found that fenugreek seeds have antioxidant properties so that they can help in reducing inflammation in the body, this property could be the reason for its antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic activities.
Laboratory studies have shown that fenugreek seeds have anticancer activities in different types of cancer.
Fenugreek seeds also found to control appetite and reduced-fat consumption in some studies and one of the reasons behind this effect is its high fiber content.
Fenugreek seeds powder intake by 25g a day, either as a divided dose of 6.25g four times or 12.5g twice a day, half an hour before meals offer maximum health benefits.
Word of caution, for those on medication for diabetes please inform your doctors if you are taking fenugreek seeds daily, to prevent food and drug interactions as well as acute complications of the sudden drop in blood sugar.
Health Benefits of Fenugreek Seeds:
- Fenugreek helps lower cholesterol especially the bad LDL levels in the body. It has flavonoids that lower lipid levels in patients suffering from high cholesterol.
- The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of fenugreek seeds help reduce joint pain for patients suffering from Arthritis.
- It helps people with digestive issues and stomach ulcers. It works as a natural lubricant for your stomach and soothes the intestines and the gastric tract.
- Fenugreek also aids in weight loss. The seeds prevent the accumulation of fat in the body and improve your metabolism. Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a glass of warm water. Drink this water on an empty stomach in the morning to boost weight loss. It keeps you feeling full for longer too.
- Improves the health of your kidneys and your liver. The flavonoids improve the functioning of your kidneys and prevent deterioration of cells. Fenugreek seeds are also capable of reversing any damage alcohol causes to your liver.
- The consumption of fenugreek powder during periods helps to alleviate menstrual cramps and other symptoms associated with menstruation like headaches and nausea.
- Fenugreek is very helpful in increasing the production of breast milk in lactating women. The phytoestrogen contained in the herb increases the supply of breast milk in mothers and also helps children gain weight.
- The oil extracted from the fenugreek seeds helps fight cancer.
- Helps control blood sugar and decreases insulin resistance in Diabetic patients.
- Fenugreek seeds are known to have positive effects on cardiovascular health.
- Fenugreek seeds help improve the functioning of the human brain. They also help reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.
- Fenugreek seeds help increase appetite and help people with eating disorders.
- Fenugreek seeds help cure a chronic cough.
- The seeds are also great to treat chapped lips.