Carom seeds or commonly known as AJWAIN which is an Indian spice commonly used as a remedy for gastrointestinal problems like indigestion, flatulence(gas) and colic pain.
More Indian Vernacular names of Carom seeds are Bishop’s weed, Dipyaka, Yamani, Yamanika, Yavanika, Jain, Yauvan, Yavan, Javan, Yavani, Yojana, Ajma, Ajmo, Jevain, Oma, Yom, Omu, Oman, Ayanodakan, Onva, Juani, Omam, Vamu,Thyme.
Botanical Name: Trachyspermum Ammi
Here are a few health benefits of Ajwain:
- Digestive problems
Ajwain helps to manage digestive problems by promoting digestive fire due to its Deepan (appetizer) property. It also helps to digest the food easily due to its Pachan (digestive) property and gives relief from flatulence.
- Take 1-2 glass of water in a pan.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Ajwain seeds to it.
- Bring it to a boil on low flame for 8-10 mins.
- Take 2-3 teaspoons of this decoction 3-6 times a day.
Ajwain might be useful in patients with asthma as it balances an aggravated Kapha. Ajwain helps to bring out the mucus easily and helps manage chronic bronchitis and asthma to a great extent.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon Ajwain and 1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- Boil it in 250 ml water till the water changes color.
- Drink this while it is still hot twice a day.
3. Chest pain
Bronchitis, cough and chest congestion is caused due to an aggravated Kapha and Ajwain might help in case of chest pain due to congestion by balancing Kapha dosha in the body.
- Take 2-3 drops of Ajwain oil.
- Mix it with mustard or sesame oil.
- Massage onto the chest and back.
- Repeat it once or twice daily to get maximum relief.
- Ajwain should be taken in the recommended dose and for a recommended duration under an Ayurvedic doctor’s supervision. A high dose can lead to acid reflux and constipation.
- Long term use of Ajwain should be avoided in cases of male infertility or oligospermia.
- Ajwain should be avoided in people who have internal bleeding and ulcerative colitis.
- Ajwain or leaves paste should be used with honey or any coolant substance if your skin is hypersensitive.
- Due to its hot potency, Ajwain seeds oil or paste should be used with coconut oil on scalp.
These are a few benefits of Carom seeds with minor precautions to take care. For more information, keep requesting with your query.
Please consult the physician of your choice before starting this, or any, diet plan or exercise program