This is one of my favorite Indian spices. Especially love the smell when used in cooking lentils. The aroma is just heavenly. I also love this spice because it prevents and cures numerable diseases and disorders such as:
- Insomnia: The hypnotic nature of cumin acts as a stimulant and relaxant at the same time. This along with aid in digestion helps you get a sound sleep.
- Boils: Boils represent the excess toxic substances present in the body. Regular use of cumin has shown to reduce the body toxicity by frequently throwing them out of the body.
- Cold: Cumin, rich in iron and vitamin C helps to dry up excessive mucus. Thus, helping you get relief from cough and cold.
- Piles: It is a natural laxative mainly because of cumin aldehyde present in it. It is capable of effectively cleaning up the digestive and excretory system. It is capable of completely curing the infection of wounds and hemorrhoids, which are the reasons for the cause of piles.
- Anemia: Cumin is rich in iron which is the main constituent of hemoglobin. Its consumption can increase the number of red blood cells in the body.
- Diabetes: Studies on cumin fed animals have shown a decrease in glucosuria, which is a condition where the urine contains too much glucose. Although research on humans still continues, early reports show that cumin can be powerful in preventing diabetes too.
- Cancer: Cumin itself has detoxifying and chemo-preventive properties. It also has antioxidants which are known to prevent the occurrence of cancer.
The most effective health benefits of cumin are:
· Cumin seeds are rich in Iron:
Iron is an essential mineral for a human being. It provides strength and balances other cellular processes well. Thus, iron must always be present in abundance. As cumin seeds are rich in iron, regular consumption can help you maintain a good balance.
· Improves digestion:
Cumin seeds can improve digestion up to a significant extent. With our increased exposure to outside food, proper digestion has become a critical aspect. While it is necessary to avoid outside food as much as possible, consuming cumin seeds on a regular basis can ease your distress.
· Maintains blood cholesterol:
Some studies prove that cumin seeds can maintain and sometimes improve blood cholesterol. Thus, if you are worried about cholesterol, consume them regularly.
· Cures insomnia
Insomnia or sleeping disorder is quite common these days. This disorder often occurs due to a high-level of stress and anxiety. Cumin seeds can relax the nervous system of the body which further reduces stress and anxiety which further cures insomnia.
· Fights common cold
Cumin seeds can act as a disinfectant. Hence, they have the ability to fight against various viruses that can cure a common cold.