It has been aptly said that a brain is a good slave but a worst master. Let the brain lead you and you may reach the place you never wanted.
On average a person thinks of 60,000 thoughts a day. Out of which approximately 70 % are just repetitive thoughts. Thoughts that are negative. Thoughts that will lead us nowhere. Thoughts that are just sabotaging us every second.
Take an analogy of a house. If the inhabitant has clean habits then he will try to keep everything immaculate. Clean sofa, clean mat, clean bedsheets, and clean everything. (Please note that these things have been added gradually and so you have kept them clean).
Now suddenly the doorbell rings, you see an unwanted guest with muddy shoes and clothes. Since you are the master of the house so it is your wish to open the door and let the guest be in or keep your door closed and let him knock and go. There can be a third option also where you can let the guest in and command him as you like.
Now the result of the above situation:
1) The guest comes in and whichever area it roamed, it leaves its marks and depresses you. The later you let him in, the more dirt is spread.
2) You did not let the gust in so your house is still immaculate. The guest cursed you a little and went away. (He will keep returning because he is shameless)
3) You let the guest but you had been patronizing ever since its entrance. You showed him your good family members so the guest did not get a chance to speak much or walk around much.
The same way, bad thoughts knock at our brain’s door. We let them in once and we keep gyrating in this downward curve.
The ways to control the mind:
To take absolute control of mind, one has to have the tenacity and it takes years to master the skill. The mind keeps jumping from one thought to other and this is called monkey thoughts. When the mind settles and let there be few selected thoughts then it is called mindfulness. The suggested ways to gradually control the mind are
- Meditation: Just close yourself in a room. Try to focus on a flame of a candle or your finger. You may concentrate on listening to the rhythm of your heartbeats. It is really tough exercise because the more you want to stop other thoughts to think, the more it goes vagrant.
- Opposite thinking: when a negative thought comes in, then let the brain think if the positives that have happened with you.
- Be done: when a negative thought comes in then just pen down them on a paper. Write as much as you want. If you feel like writing the cuss words, do it because neither you nor anyone else will read it. It is a way to vent out the negative and for those who hate writing, it is punishment for thinking negatively. Just burn or tear the paper or wash the ink if it can be washed. You will feel yourself light and ready to think something good.
- Affinity: surround yourself with people whose aura exuberate gleam. Talk to them. Listen more and speak less.
- Idolize: Just picture yourself what you want to be. Your mind starts thinking in the same lines. Eg. When you see an image then you restrict your imagination to it. If there is no image, but just an explanation then you let the mind be master of you. Remember the story of blind people and an elephant? They imagined the various parts of the elephant according to there thought. I am sure, when I say ELEPHANT then there is a certain picture in your mind.
So, I feel that the mind can be controlled but with complete dedication and willpower.